Thanks to everyone who came out last night for the “February Round-table” CPAUG meeting both in-person and online. We appreciate your attendance and want to especially thank those that took the time to share with the group.
Congratulations to Don who won last night’s Adobe CS5 Software raffle. He’ll be receiving his choice of an Adobe software suite valued at up to $2000.00. We’ll hold another drawing in the second half of 2011. Don’t forget that you get extra raffle tickets for attending meetings and presenting!
Here are some notes and links from the meeting:
- Presentation Connect A/V recording is available to view at this link: http://experts.adobeconnect.com/p50494551/
- NAPP (National Assn of Photoshop Professionals) – offers great discounts on Adobe software. There is a fee to join NAPP but the software discounts can often offset that cost.
- AdobeTV – Great place for online video training including free Lynda.com produced videos.
- Lynda.com – Superb online video training for Adobe software and others. CPAUG members can get a 20% discount on a year’s Lynda.com subscription – just contact us for the discount code.
- Webucator – Offers instructor-led online video training for several popular Adobe software items.
- Safari Books Online – Online access to books, videos, and tutorials from O’Reilly, Peachpit, Prentice Hall, Microsoft Press, Apress and others. Great if you tend to buy a lot of technology books. CPAUG members get 20% off Safari Books 12-Month Subscriptions.
- Adobe Museum of Digital Media – CPAUG member Dan mentioned that he was thinking of creating a virtual museum and it was suggested he check out the The Adobe Museum of Digital Media (AMDM) – It’s a unique virtual space designed to showcase and preserve groundbreaking digital work and to present expert commentary on how digital media influences culture and society.
- 3D Buzz – Online community offering free training videos including Maya, 3D Max, Houdini, and C++. Forums, news items and artists galleries.
- Sign-A-Rama – CPAUG member Kevin works here and shared some of his latest work including large format signs, awnings and van wraps.
- Adobe Mobile Phone Apps & Philly Geek Central iPhone App – CPAUG member Don shared information about current Adobe Mobile Applications that are available for use and free. He also mentioned an interest in collaborating with other group members to create an iPhone app based on the Philly Geek Central ActionScript-based Open Source code. If you are interested, please post in the CPAUG Web/Mobile Design & Development group.
- PS Pen Tool Tip – CPAUG member Ouwais shared how to make a Photoshop brush using the pen tool. Here’s the YouTube video he wanted to show. The steps to make the brush are: Pen > Stoke/Path > Brush > Simulate Pressure > Fill Path > Foreground/Color.
- Heritage Makers – CPAUG member Annie shared this website which lets you create beautiful, heirloom quality storybooks. Her own Heritage Makers website is at StoryBoundHound.com. Additionally, Annie brought her own photographs to show including her photo of a baby porcupine which won 1st place and Best in Show at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show. Congrats Annie!
- Unreal SDK – CPAUG member Kerry demonstrated the game level he created using the Unreal Development Kit. It’s a free download but you cannot sell games you make from it for free. Other game-and-3D-related links mentioned: Blender, Jazz Jackrabbit (Open Jazz), 3ds Max and Maya.
- Playing Games in Class by Tamara Eyster – Unfortunately, the Connect session wasn’t set up so that Tamara could talk about her Games in Class topic but hopefully next meeting she can talk about it further. I’ve included her PDF for those that were interested immediately in viewing.
- Michael Dunmire Photography – Same thing here as with Playing Games. Here are the links to the photos Michael had wanted to show and hopefully next meeting Michael can talk about his information and photos in the links. Additionally, Michael will be hosting a Central PA “Scott Kelby’s Worldwide Photo Walk” on Oct 1 or 2 (tentative). We’ll keep you posted as things are finalized. Be sure to check out Michael Dunmire’s Lighroom presets that available free for download.
Upcoming Meetings: Our next meeting is Wednesday, March 30, 2011. We’ll post the March meeting agenda and information as soon as it’s available. Additionally, we are looking for presenters for May and beyond so if you’re interested in presenting or know someone who may like to present to the group, please let us know. We’re open to all Adobe-related topics (and sometimes off-topic too!).